Thursday, January 28, 2010

Have Bag Will Travel


I purchased a new camera just before Christmas, and I am still expending considerable energy in learning to use it. I just received in the mail, thanks to a tip from a friend, a CD entitled, "How to Use the Digital Camera You Just Bought!" I have yet to find the time to embark on this tutorial, but I am in earnest in my desire and know that I will find the time soon. All this in pre-apology for the lack of definition and sharpness in the following photos. I am such a novice!

Just off the loom, well, not just off, as I have spent several hours 'finishing' the piece. I was unsure as to what exactly this was going to be, but upon seeing the finished product, I realize it is a TRAVEL BAG...literally a Carpet Bag, as it was first a small rug.


It is large and roomy, sturdy and a bit funky, and I actually love it and might not part with it...that is if anyone ever wanted to buy it.





A close up and more true rendition of its colors, though some of the greens are not entirely accurate. The body of the bag is made from strips of wool blankets, either Pendleton blankets or thrift store finds, and finished with sides/strap of a really beautiful subtly imprinted green blanket used in the body, from Pendleton blanket ends. I hand appliqued 'waves' on the top portion of the bag after it was taken off the loom.


You can just barely make out the design. It is really unusual.



For the inside I made a small bag to hold items one might wish to find fast. It is attached to the inside of the large bag with a matching 'ribbon'.

This project is complete, what's next?? I have finally, after many years warped my Herald loom, and am anxious to start that journey.

1 comment:

Avalanche Looms / Susan Johnson said...

Joanne,
It's a great looking bag, and looks like it would be a good travel bag. So, where are you taking it?