Tuesday, January 12, 2010

COMPLETED

Completing the last two/three rows in the middle proved a dedicated feat. It was tight, slow, tedious going, but not as bad as I had anticipated.

Here is the rug completed but still on the loom.



After the final twining, I pulled the metal rods from either side of the rug, and much tension was released. I think the finishing technique was supposed to be the same as on the small pot holder looms we did as children, but I really did not think that was the best choice. I decided to take some of the fabric, thread it through a very long needle, and double whip the warp ends from one end to the other,


This is what the completed ends look like. It turned out to be neat, and the darker orange gave just a bit of snap to the ends of the rug.


The completed rug. As this loom came to me with some of the 'weaving' already done, I initially just wanted to complete it with anything, so I could design it from start to finish. However, I really love this rug!! and am grateful and indebted to whoever started it. And yes, I am anxious to start again. Twining is very time consuming, and takes much longer then straight weaving, but the finished product offers a depth and intricacy of its own.