New Year's Day dawned cloudy and bitterly cold. But by noon the sun came out and brought the temperature up to around 6 degrees. Having had Raynaud's disease for many years, I wondered about venturing out, though I knew if I bundled up enough the exercise would do its work in keeping my circulation going. So bundle I did...long underwear times two, Carhart pants, wool leg warmers, sock liners, wool socks, raw wool around my toes, two long sleeve shirts under a wool sweater, a wool scarf, hat and warm jacket, with double lined wool gloves stuffed with raw wool around my fingers. I was set to go.

For the most part we took the trail we'd snow shoed the other day, but we broke trail some as well as taking advantage of short spurts of established trail. (We much prefer bushwhacking.) This is the first slew we crossed.

Once again we made our way down to the Kickapoo River. It was simply stunning today with the sun sparkling diamonds in the snow.
It never ceases to amaze me as to how very easy a man can relieve himself in the wilderness. Remember all the clothes I have on...despite the need, I hold very well.
The sumac cones were vivid and striking in their boldness. This photo does not do justice to the blood red against the blue sky.
My fingers are still cold as I type this, but I am exhilarated and so very full of life.
May everyone approach this new year exhilarated and full of life. Blessings and good health to all.




No comments:
Post a Comment