Monday, January 4, 2010

NEW YEAR'S ROYALTY

THE PRINCESS!


When I was in high school, I had what I then considered to be a beautiful 'prom' dress, all light-weight, pink and airy. When Jonel was a little girl, I took that dress apart and made her a Princess dress. I came upon that dress not long ago. On this day last week, I asked Iris to cover her eyes for a surprise. Her big blue eyes were even bigger and filled with the wonder that only a three year old can possess. Here, she dons that dress, along with her beautiful rhinestone tiara. She suddenly became magic. Upon first putting this outfit on, she proceeded to 'dance' very slowly, almost slow-motion slow, ballerina-style. It was precious. I asked her to wait a moment and ran upstairs and rummaged in my antique clothing drawer. I came down with an old lace dress on and my mother's rhinestone necklace as my tiara.


Oh, to have the eyes of the little princess who pronounced, "Ohhhh, Nonna, you are so beau-ti-ful!

After all the dancing, and yes, I did ballet as well, she decided a tea party was in order. So she gathered all her 'children' and her tea set and we had a Princess tea part.


But this is very hard and tiring work for a little princess. Where is her handmaiden?

5 comments:

Fran said...

Those are lovely pictures (for posterity, too, I hope),and you are a lucky lady to have had the experience! I really like the poen; is it your own writing? Fran

Joanne said...

Thank you Fran, yes, the poem is mine. I'll notate that today.
And, lucky I truly am.

Unknown said...

Oh Joanne that makes me miss our tea party days. We always wore"special" antique hats and had such lovely manners. Perhaps I will suggest it when the girls (12-17 years) come back from church.

Avalanche Looms / Susan Johnson said...

Iris looks so solemn, taking her sovereign duties so seriously. She must be a True Princess. And Nonna looks pretty sweet!

loretta said...

boy do you look like Aunt Sarah I never remember you looking so much Like her BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!