Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Where to Begin

Part of my creative spirit seems to be seeing potential in just about anything. Now that is the positive way of looking at I just can't throw anything away.

In addition, when cuttin
g wool strips for rugs, invariably I have a considerable amount of strips left over. Which, of course, I can't throw away. So I have containers full of a multitude of colors/textures of wool strips.

A wicker basket full of strips.



An old cheese round full of strips.




A tall basket full of strips.

I am sure if I uncover things long enough, I'll find even more, perhaps tucked in the back of an upstairs closet. So, I have vowed to not cut any more blankets up, (I have already broken this
vow...a little bit) until I use up at least a good portion of these strips on rugs or bags.



This is my first attempt. I am not sure what this is going to be exactly, but am working hard to play around with the colors I have. Already I have run out of one color, so I need to be really inventive in how I am going to incorporate new colors and still have it look like a cohesive piece.

In the mean time, I have also warped the 'twine rag rug' loom and have started twining again.


Here it is at about the point I am now at. It is getting easier, and I am getting faster at it, but it is still much more time consuming then floor loom weaving.


A corner detail.





A close up of the cotton twined rug. I am liking how the colors twine and meld together.

Luckily it seems easier for me to cut strips for twined rugs as I go along. I think this insures I won't have baskets full of already cut cotton strips. Of course, if I did, I could braid them and weave a braided rag rug. MMMM...now that's an idea.


No comments: