Sometime last year while rummaging around at Goodwill in La Crosse, I came across what appeared to be a 'loom' of some sort. Whoever had given it up, had done so after having 'woven' several inches of rug. The structure of the loom was familiar to me, not unlike a largish tapestry loom, but the type of weaving was unfamiliar.
A corner detail of the 'twisting'.Not knowing exactly what was going on in the 'weaving', I took apart a few rows to determine how I should continue. I thought I had it, and proceeded with not a little taking apart and starting once again.
I especially liked the pattern of the fabric strip that was abandoned. I could not match it, of course, but I found colors that seemed complementary. I was able to get a book out of the library that explained this technique, and off and on over the past months, I have worked on it. Lately I have devoted time to it, and am nearly finished. As this rug is being woven from both the top and the bottom at the same time, as I approach the center, I wonder how I am going to twist those last strips in, and then the big question, how to get it off the loom. Luckily, I have a group of women textile lovers who I am sure will offer me much valued direction.

1 comment:
What a project, but it looks really good. I hope it all comes off o.k.
Post a Comment