Monday, July 2, 2012

USING THE GRILL

There is plenty of heat here in Southwestern Wisconsin...so much so that it has altered my life in many ways, especially cooking.  I have taken to using the small grill on the deck instead of the oven....with varying results.

 Exposure makes this a bit difficult to make out, but it is fresh Naan just off the grill...

...while here is one just finishing up.  This was a great success and we ate these crispy breads with grilled turkey strips made into a turkey salad with grapes.  It was delicious.

On Sunday evenings we always have homemade pizza, a large salad, and a movie.  Two weeks ago, I bought fresh mozzarella and used that instead of my normal, quite delicious in itself, Organic Valley Raw Milk Jack Style cheese.  I must say that as much as I love my pizza, I thought that this was the very best pizza I had ever made.  I attributed it to the mozzarella.  Mmmmm...could I make my own?


Here are two of the three balls of homemade mozzarella that I made using Organic Valley whole milk.  They are being stored in the leftover whey.  The process is not especially lengthy, nor difficult, although a bit expensive.  

Here is a ball getting sliced in preparation for the pizza, which this time I was going to try to cook on the grill.


Ingredients for the topping assembled to be placed by the grill for rapid application.


On the grill.  My usual rectangular pizza (size of a cookie sheet) cut in half for easier handling.


Just flipped for another 2 minutes before the toppings are added.


...and the pizza nearly done...

(Well I am sorry to say the underside was really overdone.)

It was really quite good despite being burned in some places on the underside.  I will adjust in the future, both heat and time, and grilled pizza, with homemade mozzarella will be summer Sunday fare.

3 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Your grilled pizza looks so good, especially the fresh mozzarella. Grilling pizza is a bit tricky since we've tried it as well. We've also used a pizza stone on the grill which works very nice.

I cooked on our grill twice yesterday in order to keep the house cooler. Certainly a steamy night!!!

Unknown said...

I still have fond memories of your pizza when you had the weavers group over. Hum, maybe pizza on the grill tonight...

riverweave said...

Oh, I remember that pizza! Your food posts always make my mouth water.