Friday, July 20, 2012

THE COLORS OF SUMMER'S PALATE (OH THE PALLETTE)


Oh the wonderful colors that are coming from the garden now.  Tomatoes so red and juicy, lovely onions, green and fragrant basil....mmmmmm.....
it seems like one can taste the colors.



 A very simple, yet incredibly delicious salad...tomatoes, onions thinly sliced, basil, freshly nipped dill, good wine vinegar, good olive oil, organic feta cheese, salt and pepper, toss and eat along with a warm slice of homemade crusty bread!!  (Soak extra bread in the juices after the tomatoes are eaten, that's reason enough to make this salad!)




Beets on the grill...believe me they are terrific.  I first blanched them to remove the skins, then marinated them for several hours in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Cut them in half and grilled until tender.





How beautiful is this!  The left overs were made into the tastiest beet salad I'd ever had...olive oil, wine vinegar, spicy mustard, toasted walnuts and feta cheese.



Grilled chicken fillets, cucumber salad, won-tons, and grilled fresh  peach halves!!!




I am getting many cucumbers a day, thanks to plenty of water I carry.  I have several varieties planted, and thus far, all are delicious.



Simple cucumber salad, one of our favorites.
Wash cucumbers, score with the tines of a fork all around.  Slice very thin.  Slice onions very thinly, too.  Snip lots of fresh dill on top.  Salt and pepper, and a great dollop of mayonnaise, stir and refrigerate for several hours.


Something new I tried.  Cut cucumbers into chunks, chop onions into small pieces.  Add chopped dill to taste, and about 1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint leaves.  Make a dressing from 2 tbs. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. maple syrup, and 1 tsp. lemon/lime juice.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  This is yummy and the recipe comes from




this beautiful and comprehensive cookbook.

 I can't seem to stop thinking and planning about food.  I am buying cook book after cook book, and sit and read them like engrossing novels.  I'm  hooked on summer's bounty.



3 comments:

barbindell said...

I want to eat at your house!!!!!

tainterturtles said...

All your vegetable suggestions are wonderful. And the cookbook suggestion? Just great....I love your reviews of cookbooks. Thanks, will look for this cookbook in my library system.

riverweave said...

My new in-town neighbor gave me a bunch of 'slicers', cucumbers to me, I'm going to try this recipe. Sounds delicious!