Tomatoes are ripening! Granted they are not at their peak production, but I am getting several per day. Tomatoes, perhaps the star of the summer garden, at least in my way of thinking ( and the thinking of many a Sicilian I know). I am always so excited about the first tomato, and often take my salt shaker to the garden to eat a sun-warmed tomato just off the vine.
(Perhaps I obsess about food, but in this day and age where junk food is still so prevalent and widespread, it can't be altogether a bad obsession. I can hardly think of anything more important than feeding the body with food that one has reverence for, in all its stages. If one's body is one's temple, honoring it with clean, healthy, fresh, local, homegrown organic food is surely appropriate.)
Back to the tomatoes. A just picked tomato is almost sufficient in and of itself, but this simple, simple 'sandwich' tastes so gourmet, I find it hard to believe it isn't offered in the very best of restaurants.
You must start off with the very best of breads, lots of air holes, a good crumb, multi-grain if possible.
Slather a good amount of mayonnaise (I only use Hellmann's, although I might try making my own) chopped fresh basil, thick-sliced fresh tomato, another slather of mayo, more chopped fresh basil, a sprinkling of kosher salt...
there truly is no greater taste of summer!
Recently I had enough tomatoes to make my first batch of fresh salsa for eating. If you like tomato salsa, I think nothing beats fresh salsa.
Garlic
(freshly harvested and drying in the old milk house)
Peppers (these are Gypsy Girl, and will turn first yellow, then orange and then red, but I picked them at the green stage to make this first batch). Onions and celery.
The last of last summer's cayenne peppers....
What a fresh and lively taste. I simply adjust for smaller amounts from the recipe below.
Recipe for canning:
5 gallons tomatoes (peeled) and chopped
6 large onions, chopped
2 pimento peppers chopped
2 green peppers ( use only red)
10-15 jalapeno peppers chopped (I use cayenne)
3 tbs. cumin
3/4 c. sugar
3 c. vinegar
5 tbs. salt
5 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
10-15 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbs. ground black pepper
In a large enamel or stainless kettle, mix tomatoes and other vegetables, bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients, simmer on low heat 4-7 hours, until desired thickness. Ladle into sterile jars. Process. (I scoop out the solids and can that, then I also can the liquid and use it for chili, etc.)
All this salsa making put me in the mood for Mexican!
Organic chicken cut and sauteed with onions, garlic, and the last of last summer's frozen red peppers. The two 'clumps' are my frozen enchilada sauce, plus a sprinkling of cumin, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Saute until chicken is done. I refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavors develop, and reheat at dinner time.
As I no longer have fresh lettuce in the garden, I grated cucumber (of which I have lots) and used that along with cheese and black olives.
A whole wheat tortilla, chicken mixture, salsa, cheese, cucumber and olives
made for a mighty fine dinner.
I was going to make a 'Mexican' version of green bean salad, but stuck with this Sicilian salad that I grew up eating.
Steam cut up fresh green beans until just tender. Cool. Place in bowl along with cut up onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and olive oil.
A new cookbook, to me at least, is fun reading and offers much in the way of truly authentic Mexican cooking. Rick Bayless has spent many years living, eating and cooking in Mexico.
This is a great cookbook!
May you all enjoy fresh tomatoes this summer, not even because they are so very good for you, but because of their taste and versatility, too.
ENJOY!












No comments:
Post a Comment