Monday, April 12, 2010

A MIGHTY FINE FOUR HOURS


A glorious spring Sunday afternoon spent with good friends hiking for four hours (well, three hours with one hour basking in the sun atop a knoll picnicking) on the Kickapoo Reserve. The forest floor was awash in Spring Beauties, and so many other flowers. We came upon a patch of skunk cabbage on the start of our hike, that was astounding. We were astounded to find when we passed this same patch on the return to the car, that they had literally grown what seemed inches.
A skunk cabbage.



We were unable to determine what this flower was, though we had some ideas. There were many of these spotted leafed flowers along our hike.



The blue of this flower was electric!

The picnic...very good friends, good food, great wine, and wonderful conversation!!

We hiked in what seemed a primordial forest and came to a confluence of 'streams' and were at a loss for words to describe the beauty.

Another unidentified 'flower'.

I am standing there amidst the trees and actually it was easy to get lost in the beauty of the woods and the day.


An unusual burled tree....burled and burled and burled.


Much time was spent in identifying trees and bushes.

AND on this day, April 11th, I found two morels.

(I have never found morels this early before, so I am thinking that I can't wait until the end of the month, I bet they'll be around in the next week or so!!)


One could simply not ask for a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My cheeks are sun kissed from Sunday! It was a perfect day!

riverweave said...

I think the first unidentified plant is dogtooth lily (?) and the second is wintergreen (?) -- just a guess. . .
It was a great day to be outside!!