Wednesday, April 28, 2010

FROM PESKY BURR TO SOMETHING WONDERFUL


Cabin update.
Construction keeps moving along, despite the rains over the weekend. Monday the cement blocks were delivered, and yesterday Rudy began laying them on the front frost wall.


Sand delivered and water transported back to the cabin via barrels.


The first corner has been laid.


On another note. Spring has been so early that I only yesterday afternoon gathered my first Garduni (as the Sicilians I grew up with called it) and Cardoon as I've seen in Italian cookbooks. Gathering Garduni was always a rite of spring at our house when I was growing up, and my city siblings so envy the ease with which I can get it. Still, people around here think perhaps I might not be all there.

The pesky BURR that sticks to everyone relentlessly. (I have used these burrs to make animal sculptures which are truly wonderful.)


The burdock plant, and actually isn't it lovely?? The Sicilians eat the leaf stalk, where I know other ethnic groups eat the root.


Washed, rinsed and cut into a manageable size for cooking.


'Clump' several pieces together and roll in beaten egg.



Quickly roll that clump in Italian Seasoned bread crumbs.

Several clumps sitting waiting to be fried.




Several fried clumps waiting to be eaten. A sprinkle of lemon juice and this is close to the finest taste of spring. (Well, the first asparagus might rival it.)

No comments: