A LESSON LEARNED
After warping my Herald loom with the Rosepath pattern, I wove several rugs, and was really happy with them. They await a spring housecleaning and then will be placed on my own floors. After completing those rugs, I thought I'd experiment with weaving a 'table cover' with wool yarns that I have collected over the years. Believe me, I have tons. I wasn't sure about using the yarn instead of strips of wool blankets, but I wanted to try.
This is the finished product on the table. And it actually looks nicer in this picture then it ever did on my table. I actually HATED it, and it was difficult for me to look at. It seemed 'jagged' color-wise, and quite disparate. I wondered what to do, after all the work, could I simply discard it?? Was I brave enough to dye over it? This I was unsure of, and it was quite a dilemma as to what color I should use were I to dye over it. I had used yarns of several colors, but it was the lime green and the white I believe that made this piece so 'ugly' to me. After much deliberation, and with not a little uncertainty, I bought some black acid dye and mixed it 'lightly' hoping to get a gray tone.
I don't think I had ever woven a piece I disliked as much, and am glad that I had the courage, and it took courage, to try this. It was a humbling experience, and exhilarating as well. Next time I'll be unafraid....I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment