My garden is growing well, I think. The tomatoes seem behind, as we have not had many hot days, but the cucumbers are on and providing a daily delight.
One of my favorite summer sandwiches...Garlic/feta spread and spread thickly on each side of the bagel, thick sliced cucumber, fresh dill weed, lettuce from the garden...a wonderful combination of flavors, and simplicity itself.
(This spread is beyond delicious: 8 oz. feta, 8 oz. cream cheese, (both Organic Valley), 1/3 c. mayo, 1 tsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp. dried basil, 1 tsp. fresh dill weed, 1 large garlic glove diced, a touch of dried thyme. Mix thoroughly altogether. Use on crackers, bread, veggies, or in sandwiches.)
I have been trying to use up my frozen vegetables from last year, and below is the last package of broccoli..
saute broccoli in olive oil with onions and garlic...top with fresh farm eggs, let cook covered until set, shred some OV cheese on top...serve with crusty bread to dip in the egg!
When I was growing up my father loved and was expert at grilling out. The women never did the grilling so this was never part of my 'inner cook'. However, unlike most men who like to grill out, Freddie does not, and after years of trying to get him interested, I decided to do it myself, and I am so glad that I did. I love grilling out! I do a great deal of it during this weeks...standing on the deck, watching and turning the food, trying new things, and sipping a glass of wine. Now this is a great scene.
I do not eat a great deal of red meat, but Italian sausage is something I do love...thanks to my growing up years.
...grilled Italian sausage, asparagus brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder, potatoes marinated in olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, garlic scape, and a small cherry tomato salad...
I rarely eat hamburg, but my neighbor Karen raises organic beef, Little Creek Farm, and it is truly delicious.
Karen's beef burgers, again the potatoes, asparagus, and this time, grilled tomatoes and small whole fresh zucchini..
As the strawberry season was so prolific, I did many things with the harvest, among them
strawberry turnovers with from scratch buttery layered crust
On another note, I am making BBQ'd Pulled Chicken for a fund raiser for the local library expansion project. These sandwiches will be sold at the 4th of July Celebration...
onions, garlic, spices, sauteed, and then ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, among other things added...placed into a crock pot (actually two)
with eighteen three bone-in breasts and twenty-three bone-in thighs with a leg or two, cooked on low for 6-7 hours
then chicken skinned and removed from the bone and shredded
this makes a mighty delicious sandwich. Come to the 4th celebration in La Farge, I'll buy you one!!
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, your pulled chicken looks so good...and I enjoyed your grilling story. We don't eat much red meat either, but I do love a good homemade brat.
A library expansion project? Oh how exciting. Thank you Joanne for volunteering to help your local library...we need more advocates like you. Have fun cooking and wish I could be there!
Post a Comment