Thursday, November 7, 2013

THE GLORY OF LEFTOVERS


Frosty mornings, cool, crisp air...a certain call for comfort foods to round out the day.  Tuesday morning began this way longing for something warm and comforting for the evening meal.  I let my thoughts meander around the pantry and fridge for several hours until it finally came to me...risotto!  Despite being an Italian dish, I never grew up eating risotto, but have come to love its creamy, aromatic, richness.

For supper, carnival squash risotto, begun with onions, garlic, with the last liquid absorbed being a good white wine.  It was delicious served with braised kale.  Now what to do with the leftovers:

...again the mind's journey took several twists and turns before settling on...



risotto/kale layered with phyllo dough and plenty of melted butter...



served with a fresh spinach salad liberally sprinkled with cut up apples, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 

Another night of warm, comforting food, which tasted just a bit elegant.  Served with a good glass of white wine (14 Hands Chardonnay) and warm crusty bread...oh, we eat so well!

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Your phyllo entree looks delicious. What a great way to use your kale!

I laughed when I say the 14 Hands Chardonnay, because last night at my Co-op meeting, two board members each brought a bottle of 14 Hands. Guess we all have the same taste in wine!

Hope all is well in the Kickapoo Valley.