Robin and Primrose, Iris and Elsa's black and white sheep, were shorn again this last spring. Once again we took the uncleaned wool to be processed. We took it to a new place this year, and although the processing was excellent, all the end products smelled faintly of cigarette smoke and some sweet something to cover it with. Lots of washing and hanging out through a few rains finally rid it of the smell.
We had the wool processed into both a 3ply and a 2ply yarn. We opted for no natural 'white' this year, but a light heather gray and a dark heather gray.
This is the dark heather gray, lovely in and of itself. In as much as I had already knit sweaters for the girls in gray, we decided that I would dye this yarn a red color....
The color in this photo isn't really true, the yarn is actually more a combination of this and what is below...
this is a more accurate depiction...I have the hanks on an 'umbrella swift' and am turning it into...
yarn balls, which will have a central pull yarn that I can knit directly from...
I have the equivalent of 8 hanks of yarn, enough to make two sweaters...
below is the pattern that Jonel wanted for the girls. I hope to have them complete by Christmas.
If you click anywhere on the following link, the web address will appear and you can see the link.
1 comment:
Wow, the yarn is beautiful. The sweater pattern is great and I think your granddaughters will be so excited. What a wonderful Christmas gift.
Post a Comment