Sunday, June 2, 2013

THE 'GROW' PART....


I must say I am a bit concerned about this spring/summer weather, and deeply worried that we will not get enough heat index days to ripen the garden produce, and for that matter, the grapes, too.

I am spending much time in my garden, planting (though this is almost complete), weeding, hoeing, and mulching.



...beans are looking pretty good...



...peas look good and are starting to flower... (this is only one of three rows)


...cucumbers have taken some doing this year as the wetness caused several of my early transplants to rot, but here is one that took and is flowering....
(cucumbers being one of my favorite veggies)


...potatoes doing well...


...tomatoes are at a standstill, not doing very much as we have had few really warm days so far...

...I started my own seeds this year having found San Marzano seeds at the local Co-op, San Marzano being the tomato of choice in Italy.  I also found an Italian Heritage tomato seed, so started them, as well.  I have (had) way too many plants, and after having given away a couple of dozen or more, I think there are still upwards of 50 tomato plants in the garden.



In the vineyard the vines are loaded.  I think these tiny, early bunches of grapes are pretty sweet to see.  It does seem that we will have to, at a later date, remove quite a few of these to protect from over cropping.


...and it looks like we will have a really great strawberry crop this year....that is if I can continue to keep the deer away. 

Yesterday, after noticing many leaves missing, I hung around the perimeter, half bars of Irish Spring original formula soap.  It has quite a strong aroma, and I suppose the deer (rabbits) think that there is a person around???

I also 'pluck' the winter coat off my German Shepherd mix dog, and scatter clumps of her hair around my garden.

A mixture of one egg to one gallon of water and a drop or two of dish soap makes a simple organic spray to ward off deer and rabbit.  This must be reapplied after every rain, however.

Blood meal...I spread this all around the garden, as I have heard it is a deterrent for deer.

So, here's hoping that SOON this summer comes on strong and warm and that we all have bountiful gardens!

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Your garden plants have a good start, but I agree, we need some really good warm sunny days to make the plants flourish. Our forecast in NW WI says 36 degrees tonight, and then rain for the next several days.

Good luck with keeping the deer out. You have some good suggestions at how to keep them out! Happy gardening.

riverweave said...

I wonder if those deer deterrents would work for squirrels? Your garden looks lovingly tended, wishing you warm breezes and sun!