My whole life I have been an advocate against child abuse. I have shouted, written, marched, posted, cried and worked with both children and adults. Several years ago I felt overwhelmed by the sheer number of children I would about read in the papers who had died at the 'hand' of abuse. I recall feeling compelled to keep a small notebook of their names, ages, and their hometowns. I would open this notebook and read their names each night before I went to bed. I wanted so desperately to keep them alive, to keep them in my heart, to give them love.
After a few years, this notebook became too full, my heart too heavy, and I could not open it anymore. Today, a list of the names of the children killed in Newtown, Connecticut rests here by my side. I read their names, I tuck them into my heart. The thought passed through my mind to enter their names here, but I won't. In some ways I feel how unfortunate that the media, I think without true intention, seems to be exploiting this incident. I fear it will become a political issue and our politicians will use it to be heard, to seem better, to stand out. I fear that the kind of media attention this is receiving, (milking blood from this tragedy to have 'air time') will surely push someone over the edge to 'top' this count, this event.
I feel small and powerless. I feel not unlike this dark, dreary day. The Winter Solstice is upon us, the darkest night of the year. It is a dark time, a very dark time. Yet it is a time that the coming light can open us up to our better selves. We are in a time of great need, both here and abroad. We are in a time that needs us more than ever before...and we must stand and be counted.
We must not only lament, and pray, and talk in serious, grave tones with one another. We must change.
4 comments:
Thank you Joanne, I love your post today. The last couple days have been very dark...for the whole nation. I do agree, we are in need of change in in our country. My heart is still feeling very heavy.
Although it is a dark time, I think it gives us all a chance to change. All of us need to examine how we interact with each other, how quickly we judge, how we need to be "right" no matter what. If we change our little part of the world, that will be enough--the change cannot come from above, it must come from within.
Yes,I agree, none of us should wait for divine intervention...change comes from within, and we are the vehicle from which it comes.
I read of a very interesting way to make a difference this morning--do 26 acts of kindness!!!!! What a great idea. No need for big things, help someone with their groceries, pay for someones lunch--the list is endless. Just imagine how powerful. I love it.
Post a Comment