Monday, December 10, 2012

FORLORNE 'SOLDIERS' NO MORE

Up until just two days ago, I feared that the following poem I wrote last January would be true of this year as well.

 
Absorbed

The ground is bare
and brown.
Dried and broken,
nearly beyond recognition,
leaves scatter themselves
in the breeze,
and as I walk back to my cabin,
my feet cannot avoid the plethora
of pinecones
littered in my path.
I do not mind,
rather enjoy 
the music of the
crunch, crunch, crunch.

Still, I ache for snow
on this January day,
when at 44 degrees
it seems more like spring.

My skis,
forlorn upright soldiers
lean against the too
warm bricks
of the basement wall
dejectedly,
longing as I do
for the shush, shush, shush
of winters past...

longing for the woods,
for the densely white silence
that opens up
and takes us deeply in
until we disperse
our cellular structure
and are no more.

January 2012

Now it might happen that this is the only snowfall we will get, or one of only a few, however

as I am just back from my first ski of the season...



still feeling the thrill of the magic and beauty that surrounded me



I am nothing but grateful...



grateful for the silence, the solitude, the majesty of winter.  And however foolish it might sound, I do think of my skis propped against the basement bricks....waiting...waiting...waiting...and I think now that they are grateful, too.

3 comments:

riverweave said...

The miracle of snow - so beautiful.

tainterturtles said...

I'm so happy for you....finally some ski-able snow. There's just something about the quietness and solitude of snow storms.

Unknown said...

So beuatiful, as are your words. We miss your creative spritit at the weavers group, hope to see you soon. Enjoy the season, Angie