Thursday, September 22, 2011

THE NEXT GENERATION

For quite some time now, I have been searching for a child-sized floor loom. I finally did find one, made in Japan, entirely of steel. It was really very nice, the only draw back was it cost upwards of $900. Now as much as I wanted Iris to have a 'real' loom, (she has shown a lively interest in weaving) I just could not see myself purchasing such a costly item...not even for myself who now owns floor large floor looms, that have sat unused for the last two months.

After seeing a Structo Artcraft small table loom at my friend Evan's home, I started on a search for one of them. Finally on eBay I found one at a somewhat decent price...surely far below $900. Evan kindly came and spent three hours with me on Tuesday so we could set up the loom. There seem to be a couple of 'missing' parts, but it functions well enough for now.

I wanted to wait until her 5th birthday, which happens to be today, to present it to her. Actually I did so yesterday, Wednesday, when she spent the day with me. We went out to the workshop and when we approached the door I said there was a surprise inside for her, and I covered her eyes. Oh how I wish I had my camera at the ready then, she was speechless and in awe.


She picked up the rhythm so quickly, and much to my surprise already knew some of the vocabulary...having picked it up I assume from watching me. I asked if she wanted to make a small bag for herself, but she immediately said she'd like to make a doll rug.

She enjoyed choosing the colors for the weft, and really wanted to complete a work right then. She said, well my dolls are small, especially Tiny Baby, and this size 'rug' is just right for her. She did with some encouragement from me, however, decide we'd wait until next week to complete it and take it off the loom.

How fun is this...and it moves along quite rapidly!!!

I am thrilled and blessed at her interest and her capability.

1 comment:

barbindell said...

what a great gift-for both of you!!! Missed you at weavers--hope to see you soon