Tuesday, September 6, 2011

LOVE AND LABOR


In my June 11, 2011 Blog Post, I showed the following photo of a tomato plant my dog had slashed, and I repaired with duct tape.


This photo is the plant today.



It has flourished, and produced many tomatoes.


I picked this two pound tomato from the Duct Tape Plant just a few days ago. When the season is over, and the plant finally gives up its well-earned life, I am going to dig beneath the soil to see exactly what happened at the site of the taping. What a will to produce, and what delicious tomatoes came from that.

On another note, a bit of a sidebar, Iris and I picked a bouquet of flowers the other day and came upon this 'Siamese twin' zinnia. We thought it quite unique.



And Labor Day did elicit some labor from me as I cleaned and cored 30 #s of tomatoes to roast into pizza sauce, which I then canned into 12 pints.

But we also had a great time on the Reserve with good friends. Hiking, picnicking, and hiking some more.



Gordon, Freddie and Olga on a beautiful trail.


For some reason this view reminded me of the views out west.


Gordon, Olga and me...nearing the end of our 3 hour hike. We were reluctant to end this magical day of exquisite views, good food, good friends and good exercise.


A view of the Kickapoo River from the trail.

Home to finish the labor (of love), my tomatoes.

A wonderful Labor Day spent not only with good friends, but with the bounty of my garden.

No comments: