Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The UPS and DOWNS

Just returned from a train trip to Whitefish, MT. Our train left on time from La Crosse, which is always nice, however, instead of reaching our destination at 8:45 the next night, we did not get in until 2:00 in the morning. Needless to say, we spent much of our train time in the dark, which we hadn't anticipated.

I was astounded that my camera could get decent photos while the train was flying at top speed. The hills of North Dakota. They reminded me of S.D.'s Badlands, and were visible for much of the ride through N.D.


Approaching the mountain area.

When we arrived, it was a short walk to our motel (JUST a motel, nothing more) which was right in downtown Whitefish. We spent the first day recovering and walking around the area. Lovely setting, but I must say that Whitefish is the most littered town in America. Having been to San Antonio a few years back, I thought no town could be more littered than that, but I was wrong, Whitefish had litter absolutely everywhere. In fact, Sunday evening as we were walking in town to dinner, an elderly woman, I'd say about 85, was walking with her walker on main street, a plastic bag attached, picking up litter. She said to us as we were passing, "Please don't litter." Wish I'd have had my camera so I could have captured that moment and sent the photo to the Chamber of Commerce.

The Snow bus, free and frequent transportation to the mountain, took us up to the top.

We could have ridden the lift to the top and back down, but we surely weren't dressed for it that day. There were plenty of skiers and snowboarders, and much to our surprise, plenty of them were under 6 years old. We were astonished at the ease with which such little ones negotiated the hills. That was fun to watch from the chalet window (with a very expensive glass of wine for me...and half price beer for Freddie.)


A light and lovely snow was falling.

There just happened to be a Brewfest at the mountain on Sat. Freddie did not take part, but it was fun to watch...

brew in and brew out
...the bus driver commented on the addition of these for the weekend...

...a view from the parking lot...

We spent Sunday just walking around, and early Monday morning walked to the train station. The train was to leave at 7:45, but due to a freight train derailment west of Whitefish, the incoming passenger train was diverted. All of the passengers had to board buses (4) around midnight Sunday, and travel to Whitefish. They did not all arrive until around 10:45, so our leaving was delayed.

Unfortunately for us, on board our car were 4 teachers and about 25-30 teenagers. They were on for about 7-8 hours. It was pretty excruciating, I must say. One got to see how high on themselves teens can get, as they continually walked up and down the narrow aisles, laughing and shouting to one another, congregating nearby to howl about something, never really misbehaving, but totally oblivious to anyone else on the train. It was like being in the middle of a teen-filled unruly school bus. Believe me, this got tiresome pretty quickly.

They disembarked in Havre, MT...and peace and quiet ensued.




There were stunning vistas until one reached the prairies of MT/ND.

We would love to return to fly fish this river.

...many pools of such a vivid green called out to us...

We came across the remains of a grain train derailment of a couple of weeks ago...

Crews were still working to clear the cars from the side tracks.

Much of our trip was lovely, but I must say that way too much of the immediate view from the train was of trash, all kinds of trash from beer cans aplenty to cars! I often wondered if the train tracks in Europe are as littered? It was truly ugly...


...and uninviting...


...and far too frequent...


...throughout the entire ride...

Freddie loves the prairies of Montana and North Dakota, not me so much. However one thing that I find utterly beautiful are the abandoned structures that once were homes. They are everywhere, interspersed with the more general turquoise or orange or yellow, weary-looking trailer houses which are a typical residence in the prairie.



The abandoned structures seemed lonely, yet hopeful, as though they awaited someone's return.

The mountains are beautiful, but then so is the Kickapoo Valley, and it is good to be home.

4 comments:

Holly said...

And the Driftless Region welcomes you back in open arms! I'm glad you're home!

barbindell said...

Wow--I would never have imagined Whitefish as littered--all the times I have been there it was not littered at all--were you there on St. Patricks day? Hope you found the Mexican resturant the friends of Ingrids and Jamie run--the food is really good--also the cafe for breakfast (can't remember the name) but all the locals go there. Sorry to hear about your train ride--we have been really lucky--gone 4 or 5 times by train and never been late-go figure

Joanne said...

Barb, Wish I'd spoken with you before I left! We ate at Tupulo one night, honestly the best restaurant meal I have ever had!! Not sure what Mexican restaurant you meant?? No, not St. Pat's day. The melting snow revealed more litter than I've ever seen anywhere!! Maybe, given our track record of the past few years, our 'vacations' are to be disrupted????

riverweave said...

Bad luck on that train ride. Discouraging to hear that such spectacular surroundings are fouled by human litter.
Welcome back - must have been very nice to come home to your cheery abode!