GOOD EATING AGAIN
I harvested my sweet potatoes a couple of days ago, and it was a bumper crop. I have been growing sweet potatoes for about 5 years now, and this is the best crop ever, both in the potato yield itself, and most definitely in the size of the potatoes.
I have a few, very few, small sweet potatoes, many good sized-large potatoes, and an abundance of gigantic sweet potatoes, the likes of which I've never seen before. I bet I have one or two that weigh nearly 3 #'s each. Their size has not detracted from their taste either, they are perhaps the sweetest, tastiest sweet potatoes I've ever eaten.

It is difficult to really tell how very large some of these are, but the ones that look smaller, aren't really small at all.
The potato in the front is actually quite large...the one behind, huge.Growing up in a Sicilian household, food was often the center of our lives. However, my mother or father, both of whom were good cooks, never made risotto. It was only as an adult, and perhaps only within the last 10 years or so that I have made risotto, and I must say it is one of my favorite foods.
Creamy Italian rice sauteed in olive oil (with leeks and garlic) a broth gradually added 1/2 cup by 1/2 cup over a period of 30 minutes (while continually stirring) is a treat in itself. Depending on the season, and what is ripe, I add peas, spinach, asparagus, butternut squash, or in this case...sweet potatoes.


No comments:
Post a Comment