Thursday, September 16, 2010

THANK HEAVEN FOR LITTLE GIRLS


Having grandchildren is surely a blessing, having grandchildren if you love to create is a double blessing; having little girls as grandchildren (despite loving little boys, too) is a triple blessing; having imaginative little girls for grandchildren, exceeds it all. The little girls in my life are always prompting me to create something...sometimes by straight out asking and sometimes I am inspired by their play.

Not too long ago, while Freddie and I were at her house, my eldest granddaughter, Morgan, came out with a lovely, fancy dress for her American Girl Doll, and asked if I could make one. I said I didn't have a pattern, but if I could take a dress home I'd be able to do it. She ran into her bedroom, grabbed a pink knit doll's dress and said I could take that home, as it was a winter dress and it wasn't winter yet.

After much scrutiny and 'pattern making' here is the completed project. All of the fabric is reclaimed, and the lace was a very lucky Goodwill find, all 4 plus yards of it for $2.99. With little girls, I figure I'll eventually use it up.

Fancy Dress


Then while tending Iris this last Wednesday, she wanted to play fairies, (after about a million other games we played). I had a couple of 'angels' that she got out and we played Fairy Land with them. Of course, right away I started thinking about making fairies.


I have had these dried milkweed pods since last fall, when I could not resist picking them on a hike...thinking how lovely they were. They looked like wings to me. Since then I have picked them up many a time while in the workshop , but today was the day I was fully inspired to transform them...I think they have been waiting!


Wanting the Fairy to stand up created somewhat of a problem, but it was solved after trial and error. The stiffest facing I had worked.



Fairy number one in progress...I think of her as the Sunshine Fairy.


Fairy number two nearly done. I think of him as the Earth Fairy.


And here they are pleased as punch, just waiting for a little girl to come along and play Fairy Land!

No comments: