Probably none of you who do in fact read this blog have noticed the absolute absence of any reference to the basement of my cabin, for what seems like several months now. The absence is mostly due to the 'depression' that set in oh, I'd say about Junish when I realized this was going to take far more time and MONEY then ever I dreamed. Way, way back in April, when this endeavor began, it was supposed to be not too much longer then a month to its completion. Let's see now, April to September...closing in on six months, and still not done. A lot closer yes, but not by any means complete.
Finally, though the kinks that have held it up seem to have been conquered, not always to my delight, but conquered. Mostly the hold up has been due to my wanting the basement to extend out beneath the deck (to increase space) and not be confined to the cabin proper. When I was given an estimate, the contractor said it would be 'problematic' but could be done. Little did we know how problematic it was going to be, as with every rain, and there were plenty this summer,
the abutment between the deck and the cabin ceiling leaked in several places. Many things were tried, some rejected, and one of the final solutions (a rubber mat on the deck floor) is, at least to my eyes
DAMN UGLY!
I have been looking at various outdoor floor coverings but have yet to find something that I think is less ugly. Hopefully, something will come to me.
Conquering this portion of the leak problem was only one step in the right direction, there was lots of cutting, replacing, caulking, and foaming before the leaking discontinued. (At least I hope it has stopped, and it's not just a consequence of the rains stopping.)
Finally, though the kinks that have held it up seem to have been conquered, not always to my delight, but conquered. Mostly the hold up has been due to my wanting the basement to extend out beneath the deck (to increase space) and not be confined to the cabin proper. When I was given an estimate, the contractor said it would be 'problematic' but could be done. Little did we know how problematic it was going to be, as with every rain, and there were plenty this summer,
the abutment between the deck and the cabin ceiling leaked in several places. Many things were tried, some rejected, and one of the final solutions (a rubber mat on the deck floor) is, at least to my eyes
DAMN UGLY! I have been looking at various outdoor floor coverings but have yet to find something that I think is less ugly. Hopefully, something will come to me.
Conquering this portion of the leak problem was only one step in the right direction, there was lots of cutting, replacing, caulking, and foaming before the leaking discontinued. (At least I hope it has stopped, and it's not just a consequence of the rains stopping.)
The landscaping is in progress, retaining wall nearly complete. Junk being cleaned up on the outside.
Here I need Freddie to determine what of this 'trash' he can find use for and wants stored in the barn. Hopefully this will be taken out SOON.
I have, at least at this point, decided that I want the rafters left open. At first I thought I'd paint them, but now I think I'll paint the cement walls, the ceiling between the rafters, but not the rafters themselves. When this ceiling was just the floor of the basement, and exposed to the ground, I had blanket insulation and board insulation stapled to it, to increase the heat value in the cabin. It was a good idea then, but now it is killing me! Freddie and Andy crawled underneath the cabin to install it, and boy did they do a great job, using, I think, nothing less then a million staples
like the close up of this one. They are all along the bottom portion of each rafter, and in most cases still have the blanket paper attached to them.
Yes, that is my hand, removing each and every one of those million staples. This is how I am spending a couple hours per day...not all at one time, however, as the crink in my neck and the twist of my wrist can only take it for about 30-40 minutes at a time.
Facing the back of the cabin basement, this is to the left...and relatively clean of staples, though there are a few stubborn ones I will need to leverage out with a knife before pulling with the pliers. Then it will all have to be vacuumed.Then on to painting the inside, after which I can begin to move in all of the many items...tables, shelving, cabinets, lamps, etc., that I have accumulated since April. (I hope there is room, as I also want to bring down one of my three looms.)
So, even though after this very long six months, where I have said to myself more times then I can recall..."I wish I had never started this project!" there is still more to go. I actually do not anticipate being settled in surely not before Christmas at the earliest. What a journey!
I HAD BETTER LOVE THIS BASEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



1 comment:
Hang in there - that room is going to be great when it's done look at all that sunshine! can't wait to see it
Post a Comment