Little Labor this Labor Day
It seems like Fall came in a matter of hours...going from very hot and humid, to a mere 38 degrees one morning a few days ago. The garden is on the wane, even the ultra-prolific cucumbers (a half bushel per day) have more dead leaves then live. The vineyard, which was poor to begin with this year, has been harvested of its few grapes, and is looking dreary at best.
Still, there is something lush about Fall, with its aromas of moist earth, crisp leaves, and the smell of the brisk wind. Although I am reluctant to completely let go of summer and my garden, I welcome Fall and all that it brings.
Yesterday we traveled not very far from home so that Freddie could try out his new La Crosse waders. Warner Creek, only a couple of miles from here, yielded beautiful surroundings if no fish.
Yesterday we traveled not very far from home so that Freddie could try out his new La Crosse waders. Warner Creek, only a couple of miles from here, yielded beautiful surroundings if no fish.
Beautiful little yellow button flowers.Freddie spent a couple of hours fly fishing, while I spent time looking and snapping a few pictures. It was a lovely afternoon, despite the multitude of mosquitoes.
Then home to make a fish-less supper.
Although the garden is yielding less and less, the basil is still big and bushy and begging to be picked. As I had bread dough rising, the basil beckoned to be cut up on a pizza.
Just out of the oven.(I must say, we never seem to get tired of pizza, and have it at least once per week.)




No comments:
Post a Comment