Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MORNING'S MAGIC


I have, for the past several months, made a ritual of doing at least some writing in the earliest hour I am awake...along with the last of my coffee. For some reason this morning's writing was dark and dense and bleak. Little did I know of the magic that awaited me when I made my morning garden tour.


Walking through the side yard, on the way to the garden, there were countless 'patches' of these soft and dewy spider webs...how busy they must have been in the night...I wonder were they there all along, and I missed them?



This spider web was gigantic, much bigger than me and it spanned from high in the dying pine tree to attach in several places along the lawn. I have always wondered exactly how these are constructed...how exactly does that first long strand become attached at so distant a place?? Does the spider spin and spin, traverse the ground and climb, dragging its silken thread behind, until it reaches the height it wants??
How I wish to be small and invisible and able to watch this magic happen.


Woven webs everywhere. Hanging clothes I spotted this one suspended in the corner glistening in the morning sun.


I have always wanted Echinacea flowers, and have gathered and scattered seeds many times. Nothing has ever come from that, or so I thought. Much to my delight and complete surprise, this morning, just above the garden I saw these two flowers in perfect bloom. I do not remember scattering seed at this place, but it doesn't matter...magic surely happens.

Zinnia, a flower that I love for all its variety in shape and color, and plant profusely in my garden, is now in bloom.


Below is squash flower the size of very large dinner plate.

One of the most anticipated tastes of the summer garden for me, is the cucumber. For some reason I mistakenly planted, I think close to twelve plants!! They are producing quite well, though at a manage-ably eatable rate right now, however, I anticipate all my family and friends will have more then even they can handle.

Aren't they simply beautiful?

The dew on the dill sparkled like thousands of diamonds.

And the gooseberries in the morning sun promise a good picking today.

So, should I have waited to do my morning writing until after the 'garden walk'? Perhaps, or maybe the bleakness of my words heightened the magic of this brilliant morning...

No comments: