Sunday, July 4, 2010

BLACK HAWK AND NORSKEDALEN


My niece Lisa and her husband Bob recently arrived for a couple of days on their way to the Black Hills. It has been quite some time since I've seen them, so it was a nice visit. On Friday, with lots of sunshine and warm temperatures, we took the short hike up to Black Hawk. The destination, the top of Black Hawk, is spectacular, the hike itself is short, lovely but absent of the outstanding rock outcroppings of the area. Still, Lisa and Bob truly enjoyed it, and continually expounded on the beauty of this area. (We told them there was land for sale in the Kickapoo!!)



Lisa (and Freddie) sit atop Black Hawk.


Bob, interrupted in his own picture taking.


Lisa and I.



On the way up to the top and again on the way down, Lisa spotted what seemed like thousands of tiny toads hopping frantically all over the ground. She spent a little time momentarily capturing one so we could get a better view. They were literally underfoot.

On another note, the Art Fair at Norskedalen.

It was a beautiful day on Saturday, and 257 people walked through the lovely late 1800 log cabin that housed my items. I never did get to walk around, not having anyone for relief, but I understand there were some wonderful displays of artwork!



The little house I was assigned has this wonderful old Norwegian loom, a perfect backdrop for some of my rugs.


Some of my bags on display.



This old treadle sewing machine elicited the comment, "My mother (grandmother) had one just like this", countless times throughout the day. It, too, formed a great prop for my sand-filled pin cushions and sewn items.


A friend loaned me this delightful antique dress form, on which I displayed this half apron, matching cap and fabric flower.



Of course this building did not have electricity...so some corners and windows were in shadow. Still it was truly a beautiful setting for my work and I had a great day.

No comments: