My mother has been gone for several years now. I miss her very much, despite the fact that she feels very near to me. I miss our weekly Saturday morning telephone conversations. I miss calling to tell her of something special that happened. I miss the sharing. I miss the depth of unconditional love that I know she had for me. I miss the cards she would send, and I miss sending cards to her. This is my Mother's Day card.
My only regret about this lovely picture is that my brother, who had not been born yet, is not in it. I don't have a picture assembled like this that includes him. And so I post this picture of my older sister Jackie, my mom, my younger sister Barbara, and myself. This has always been one of my favorite family photos. I believe it was taken to send to my father who was off in the Navy at the time.I miss my mother so much, but know she is in me...close, truly in my very flesh and blood and bones. She is with me daily, in the kitchen as I cook or bake. Each time I roll a pie crust I think of the perfect circle hers always was. She is with me when I am sitting quietly thinking or reading and as I recall her love of the library and books. She is with Iris and I, especially when Iris insists on a story from when I was a girl. And she is there in the mirror when I look at the reflection...sometimes it is truly her that looks back at me and not just me looking like her. At least I like to think so.
Love...hearts...thoughts are powerful beyond our imagination. Let them take wing with this message and place it in her heart.
1 comment:
I don't know how I missed this post - what a beautiful photo! I miss gram as well - I remember dad heckling her for always shivering out loud to give the hint to turn up the heat in our house. I remember the magnetic Jesus she had on the dashboard of her car and how she'd tell me to settle down in church. I remember her apple pies and fig cookies and watching Elvis movies with her. I miss her too. Happy Mother's Day a little late.
Post a Comment