OBSESSION
To say that I have been obsessed with food these days is to put it mildly. I seem to think about little else. It begins each morning with very carefully trying to make the perfect cup of coffee, which in part I try to achieve by dripping the water into my cup over freshly ground beans. I recently read an article about coffee brewing, about the right temperature for the water, how to let it sit awhile after boiling to achieve that temp., etc. I seem to be getting closer.
After the coffee, it is mostly the vegetables that I think about. It has been a good year for some things, and devastating for others. Although I'd like to say I have a plethora of tomatoes...
it only looks that way on my window sill...
... and my counter...where I have gathered each and every ripe tomato each and every day. A blight has hit the tomatoes, luckily not all of my 28 plants, but enough of them that along with the cool, sunless summer days, I won't be able to can tomatoes for the first time in many, many years.
Still, we are making the most of these tomatoes...
chips and salsa...
with cucumbers and basil...
in a quiche with freshly picked broccoli...
roasted with plenty of garlic, basil and drizzles of olive oil...
finally served over pasta.Each tomato season, I never seem to be able to get enough of eating them, and it is the same this year. I just can't eat enough tomatoes, and each and every one of them is so darn delicious. There truly is something about eating what's in season!!
No comments:
Post a Comment