Monday, September 7, 2009

NOT YOUR ORDINARY SALSA.....



This is, of course, your ordinary salsa...adding cayenne pepper (which I do grow, and do add) gives it a real kick!!!

But for about the past 6-8 months, SALSA has an entirely different meaning in my life. It involves plenty of kick, lots of hips, and more sweat then I generate in any other activity in my life, including hard-core biking and gardening in the hot summer sun!

A friend suggested that I try an 'exercise' class offered at Organic Valley headquarters called Zumba. I knew nothing about Zumba, but she said it was basically dancing to Latin music. As I love to dance, it was free, and it was just five minutes from home, I thought I'd give it a try. I WAS HOOKED after the very first class. I would also say, that the other participants, sometimes upwards of 20-25, are also hooked.



The Zumba logo.

Our instructor, Holly Parr, showed us the Zumba logo, and as she always, except when she forgets, wears a bandanna headband to keep the sweat out of her eyes, I thought I'd applique the logo to a bandanna and give it to her. She was thrilled and proceeded to order a bunch of bandanas in vibrant, energetic colors, on which I offered to applique logos.


For those of you who do not know Zumba, read on: "Zumba® fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy to follow moves to create a dynamic fitness program that will blow you away. Our goal is simple: We want you to want to work out, to love working out, to get hooked. Zumba® Fanatics achieve long term benefits while experiencing an absolute blast in one exhilarating hour of caloric-burning, body-energizing, awe-inspiring movements meant to engage and captivate for life!

The routines feature interval training sessions where fast and slow rhythms, and resistance training are combined to tone and sculpt your body while burning fat. Add some Latin flavor and international zest into the mix and you've got Zumba®!"



I brought these completed bandannas to class last week, and it was like watching kids in a candy store, as class participants snatched up the color they wanted. It sure was fun. We donned our bandannas and proceeded to work out for the usual flies-right-by hour. The following photo was taken after class, as you can probably tell by the many 'wet' t-shirts.

That's Holly, in front. Now, I love Zumba, but without Holly, who makes it the most fun aerobic class I have ever taken, it would lack a great deal of its hot Latin American kick!!!

No comments: