I grew up in Western New York state, the heart of Concord Grape country! Everyone had a small vineyard of Concords in their back yard...and like the fields of corn and hay that fill the countryside around Wisconsin, Concord grape vineyards were everywhere to be seen when traveling in Western N.Y., on every hillside, in every flat field, acres and acres and acres of Concord grapes, both purple and white. These were mainly sold to Welch's for grape juice, but some were used for wine...for those who like a cloyingly sweet wine. They are, despite the fact that they have seeds, wonderful eating grapes. Contrary to how people tend to eat them around here, which is to CHEW them, we squeezed the pulp into our mouths (after all they are also called Slip-Skin Grapes) and sucked the skins, and in my estimation there is almost no better tasting grape.
So about 14 years ago, soon after we bought this farm, I wanted to plant a few Concord vines just above my garden. I order four, two Wardons and two Fredonias, (Fredonia being the place I grew up). They have produced off and on some decent eating crops, but a few years ago, the Wardons stopped producing, but the Fredonias continue to give us grapes. (Actually I am not sure which 'died' out, but I like to think it is the Fredonias that have continued to produce.)
So about 14 years ago, soon after we bought this farm, I wanted to plant a few Concord vines just above my garden. I order four, two Wardons and two Fredonias, (Fredonia being the place I grew up). They have produced off and on some decent eating crops, but a few years ago, the Wardons stopped producing, but the Fredonias continue to give us grapes. (Actually I am not sure which 'died' out, but I like to think it is the Fredonias that have continued to produce.)
And below, for perspective, grapes both large...really large, and more normal sized.

I have always wanted to try making a Concord Grape Pie, though I wasn't sure if this really was a 'pie'. A few years ago I came across a recipe for one, but misplaced it. So I googled grape pie and found several recipes and decided it was time. Now this is not an untertaking for the timid or those pressed for time, and I kept hoping it would be worth it. As to begin, one must slip the skin of countless 'berries' in order to get 5 1/3 c. Below my first cup.

...which is to strain the seeds from the pulp. What this actually means, strain is not quite the right word, is pressing and pressing and pressing the softened pulp until the mostly seeds remain.
It is at this point that the skins are added back, the sugar added, and the pie is made. It all looked too watery to me, and I wondered if the 5 1/2 cups was meant to be unslipped grapes? I think so, and were I to do this again, that is how I would measure. 
What a beautiful color...if a bit on the runny side. It ended up on the tart side, which Freddie loved and wouldn't change, where I think if I had measured prior to slipping the skins, the sugar would have been just enough to truly balance the tartness. Still, it was delicious and a wonderful, lovely end to our meal.




No comments:
Post a Comment