This morning's bounty.(This is one aspect of the 'grow' in kneadweavegrow, including the lone, tiny grape tomato, but boy was it sweet.) I am a list maker and harvesting these vegetables was on my list today. However, not one of the following things was! I was so taken by the beauty and abundance of this picking I was on automatic... cleaning vegetables, washing them, looking through cookbooks and finding recipes!
The yellow squash is destined for the oven this afternoon. It is cut up along with fresh sage leaves, fresh garlic (lots of it), a very good olive oil, and plenty of salt and fresh ground black pepper. One of our favorite ways to eat yellow summer squash...and so simple.
The cucumbers, along with fresh onion slices, lots of fresh dill, and a liberal amount of mayonnaise is an extremely simple way to prepare garden fresh cucumbers. Thanks go to the dear woman who owned our home before us, and has long since passed.

Raw broccoli, so good for you, shouldn't be this delicious, but it is difficult to stop at one serving. It is mixed with chopped up onions, dried cranberries, chopped up freshly cooked bacon, sunflower seeds, a bit of sugar, wine vinegar and a mixture of plain yogurt and mayonnaise.
One of my favorite cookbooks, especially in the summer. The yellow squash recipe is in here.
2 comments:
Looks great -- except the bacon! A great way to prepare veggies is also to mix with good yogurt and crushed raw garlic. The Turks have amazing salads like this -- I grate carrots and fry them in olive oil, then let them cool and mix them with the yogurt/ garlic mixture. Amazing! Afiyet Olsun! (Let there be appetite!)
Thanks, you are a Chef in the family tradition. I frequently use yogurt, and always use garlic! Actually the broccoli salad has a mixture of yogurt and mayo. I like the idea of frying grated carrots and mixing them with garlic/yogurt. I have a great bed of carrots soon to be harvested, I'll try it out.
Post a Comment