Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Destiny of an Old Green Jacket

I love wool, almost any kind, as long as it is 100%, so finding the 'made with 100% wool' label in this jacket prompted me to buy it off the rack of old and unwanted men's jackets. It isn't really appropriate for rug weaving, as the strips would be quite short, but there seem to be so many other items that one can make from recycled, or as I like to say, reclaimed, wool. I've made several 'bags', among other things. So, I have a stockpile of laundered, ripped apart wool men's jackets. This one's destiny, a wedding!

We have a wedding invitation and the date is approaching fast. I visited the couple's online registry, and saw many items I would have gladly bought. (This is not always the case, as I like to purchase items that are eco-friendly and natural.) This registry was filled with such things. But knowing the soon-to-be-groom fairly well, I knew he would also value (and presumed his soon-to-be-wife would as well) something handmade. I thought long and hard about this, as I know not everyone values handmade items, and surely things I have made and given have found their way to the darkest corner of the most neglected closet never to be seen again. But I decided that this couple would appreciate a handmade gift. So this jacket and the fabric below, salvaged from a tumbled bin at Goodwill, would 'marry' and become a gift.


I saw on the registry that this couple listed 'organic' potholders in both green and gold. Well, I definitely had the green, and this fabric was 'kind of' gold in places, and both were eco-green, so I proceeded to fashion potholders.


These potholders are flexible, sturdy, and thick. I think they'll protect against the hottest of pots.


After completing the potholders, I thought something more was needed, and decided a set of four place mats would complete the gift. And so I am just now finishing up the appliqueing of flowers on the green side of each place mat, and hand quilting some designs from the back side. What a fun project, and I surely get satisfaction from hand making gifts!

2 comments:

Life with Lizzie said...

I absolutely love reading your blog.
I especially liked the story of the old green jacket.
I think the married couple will really appreciate the wool and flowers.
keep those posts coming.....i read every one.
much love,
lizabeth on maui

Joanne said...

Well, Lizie, so nice to hear from you on the blog!! If you were the only reader I'd be happy! Do you have a blog?