
I have been making bread and pizzas for a very long time, since long before my daughter was born. There is something close to holy about making bread, especially if one, as the Buddhists say, bring awareness to the moment. I especially love the kneading process with its dance-like rhythms. Despite my history with making bread, several years ago I embarked on an in depth study of bread making, experimenting with artisan breads as I had not done before. I make bread or pizza several times per week. On another note, I have subscribed to La Cucina magazine for several years, and love its presentations of Italy, Sicily, vineyards and food. The latest issue had an article on Napoli, and the unequaled famous pizzas that are made, and eaten daily from vendors off the street. The secret of Napoli pizza it is said, is the '00' flour used, and a mail order number was given. Now in my research I had heard of this "00" flour and have tried unsuccessfully to get it from our local Food Co-op. So, I mail ordered 6 pounds of this special flour. It was costly, as the shipping doubled the cost of the 2# bags, which came from Teitel Brothers in the Bronx. So yesterday I started this very lengthy process. Making the dough, refrigerating it over night, taking it out rekneading it, refrigerating it again for hours, and then taking it out to rise. I have just re-refrigerated it, and will make it for supper tonight. In preparation for what I hope to be unbelievably delicious pizza, I even bought fresh mozzarella cheese, which itself is quite expensive. My anticipation is great, though I feel doubtful that for all the expense and the cost, it really won't be all that much better then the pizza I have perfected over years of baking. To say I am anxious for supper tonight; red wine, spring greens salad, and Napoli pizza is to fail at words. But my hope is great.
1 comment:
I had to look twice but I have that same blue bowl, filled with handspun yarns.
I think perhaps it would like to try some bread baking too. You are inspiring me which is something I love about the blogging world. Keep it up! Angie
Post a Comment