Monday, March 16, 2009

As always a good hike with these good friends!



With long time friends, and great hiking companions, we set out for our first 'spring' hike on the Reserve. It was near fifty and about as beautiful a day for a hike as we've ever had, and we've had plenty. As always we packed a picnic, a bottle of wine, and a couple of beers. There was still plenty of snow around, but also great stretches of bare ground. Up hills and down, following our fearless leader, Freddie, finding the remains of ice caves, exclaiming at new shoots pushing through the ground, buds just barely emerging on some trees, and sitting around an old table cloth enjoying fresh bread, cheese, Olga's meatballs, spicy beans, fruit and of course a good glass of wine. Now who can ask for a better Sunday afternoon? I must say the entire time during this five hour hike, I worried about my pizza dough sitting way too long at home, as if it were an unattended child. I think the hike would have been even longer if I hadn't, sometimes quietly and sometimes not, said "I do need to get home and see to the pizza dough."

No comments: