Monday, December 28, 2015

RENEWAL




Celebrating the Christmas season was joyful this year, Andy  just having received good news from his scan.
The Sunday after Christmas Jonel and family, Freddie and I took a short hike above the Kickapoo River.  There is really nothing that can renew one's spirit, highlight the miraculous beauty of nature, and fill one with awe and gratitude as walking in the woods, especially along this river.



There really is not a spot where the view is not stunning and magical.  Being with the little ones, who stopped every few feet to exclaim at something, pick it up and put it in their pocket (or mine), only emphasized the wonder.



There is no season where this winding river is not beautiful.



...and as always the rock outcroppings are beyond my words...



...one of Elsa's finds...



Stepping out on one of the outcroppings high above the river.



These two made this hike very special...really through the eyes of little children...



A true 'tree hugger'.

Sometimes this season can cause one to feel depressed and blue, however this day, this walk in the woods above the river, this time with children and family, was marked with deep gratitude for so much; for Andy's healing journey, for these little girls whose love of nature is so pronounced, for my daughter (and Andy) whose parenting of these girls is so right on, and for all of the gifts being their Nonna has bestowed on me.  I pray this new year brings health and happiness, healing and love.

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Such a great message Joanne. My New Year's resolution is to get outside everyday during the winter season and enjoy the cold air and sunshine, well, when we have sunshine!!! The Kickapoo area brings back such great memories for me. I really miss the driftless land.

So as I enter the erra of "retirement" I can now spend more time blogging, writing,cooking, taking photos, bicycling and just plain enjoying life!!!

I'm so happy for your family to receive good news. Enjoy more hikes.....