Tuesday, June 17, 2014

MEETING A NEW 'OLD' FRIEND


Last Friday I had the great pleasure of finally meeting a blogging friend.  Lisa and I have followed each others blogs for several years now.  We seem to have so much in common, biking, food and gardening among those things.  She is originally from Richland Center and that is where her folks still reside.  As she was in RC to visit them, we arranged finally to meet.

Lisa is a lovely woman in all ways, and it was wonderful to have her come to Jug creek.  We had a great visit, and hope to do it again sometime in the not too distant future. Thanks so much for coming by, Lisa!!

On another note, just before she came, I picked spinach from the garden, and as there really wasn't enough for a dish to serve two, (spinach shrinks so much) and s I had dough slow-rising in the fridge I decided to make one of our favorite pizzas.


Many, many years ago, I read that when cleaning mushrooms one must treat them like a baby's bottom...and that is exactly what I have always done.  I dampen a paper towel and gently wipe each off before I slice it.  Above sliced button mushrooms sauteing in olive oil.


I saute them until they are quite brown as I believe it intensifies their flavor considerably.


...freshly picked spinach...




sauteing in olive oil with LOTS of chopped garlic



dough stretched into a cookie sheet rectangle and placed on parcheent paper, covered with homemade pesto (frozen, from last year), topped with spinach and the mushrooms....




a good grating of Organic Valley's Raw Milk Jack Cheese and fresh block Romano cheese...
put into a very hot (450-500 degree) oven for 10-12 minutes.  (My oven shelf has adobe tiles on it at all times, so the pizza on the parchment paper goes directly on these hot tiles.)


After a short time, it is ready.  The aroma is magnificent, and the flavors are unbelievable.



Served, of course, with a large salad dressed with homemade Italian dressing.

What a great way to use fresh spinach.  

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Thanks Joanne, it was so nice meeting you and yes, I smelled that wonderful sauteed mix when I stepped into your house. Garlic is one of my favorites. Your homegrown spinach looks beautiful.

Hoping for some rain-free days and lots of sunshine for our gardens!!!