Wednesday, February 5, 2014

ON THE UGLY SIDE


 I am hunting and pecking this post as I recently had surgery on my right hand (dominant) and am unable to use it until the stitches are removed.  I have been asked to post some photos and information regarding Dupuytren's Disease/Contracture.

If interested, precise and professional information regarding this 'disease' can be found at...
 www.assh.org/.../DupuytrensDisease.asp...‎Cached SimilarAmerican Society for Surg...Loading...
(cut and paste if this link doesn't work)

(Some of following photos may be too graphic for the soft of stomach, proceed as you wish!)

My hand prior to surgery...
initially just my pinky was involved and gradually over a year or two, contracted pretty much into my palm.  I had something called 'needle procedure done over a year ago, and it straightened my finger for all of three weeks.  When my middle finger began to contract as well




and my function was becoming compromised, I sought advice from Mayo Clinic in La Crosse.  Surgery was recommended, and my doctor, Matthew Sherrill thought her could not only straighten my middle finger, but improve my pinkie.

I had surgery on Jan. 31st. about a two hour procedure.




Hand still swollen and very sore but you can see an improvement




still quite swollen and raw, it looks better to me.  However, as this is a recurring condition with no known cause, it could come back.  I am hoping for a 3-5 year improvement.  I will update later.

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Sorry I'm slow in responding to your post, but I hope your hand is recovering from surgery. Never heard of Dupuytren's disorder. Lets hope you have full flexibility by garden planting in May! Smart to have the surgery during the cold months. Take care Joanne.