Sunday, May 5, 2013

IMAGINATION





"Nonnie, can we get the dress-up clothes out?"  

A few weeks ago, looking for something, the girls and I went upstairs and looked into a drawer in which I keep a collection of antique clothing, doilies, and the like.  This is what they meant when they asked to get the dress-up clothes, because in this drawer was the very fancy dress I put on one day when Iris and I had 'tea', several years ago.

 
 However, I really did not want the girls playing with these somewhat fragile items, so instead I brought down a box of clothes that their mother either wore, or played with when she was a child.



This lovely pink item was a favorite of Jonel's and she wore it and twirled and spun and posed, just like Elsa is doing.




This outfit Jonel wore not necessarily for dress-up, but Iris fell for it, especially because she loves long skirts.



The project I had in mind for this day was to make 'May Day Crowns'.  We used grape vines, which we twisted and wrapped with crepe paper, tied multiple colored ribbons from the back and added a few crepe paper flowers.


...exposing the gap...



...giving me the eye...




...dress up extended into lunch time...




Jonel's witch's skirt, the vest from an outfit I made her, and her lace appliqued T-shirt...

It is such a pleasure to enter the world of imagination with these girls.  They create a rich, varied and complex world with little but their minds.  They are good thinkers and rarely become bored. They can pick up something (almost anything) and suddenly become immersed in another time and space.  

This is exactly what we were striving for when I taught at the Waldorf School, this deep and full life of creativity and imagination. I am blessed!

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

Your granddaughter's are beautiful young girls and I love their creativity...I can see it in their eyes. You are so lucky and blessed Joanne.

Love the dress-up. Reminds me of my daughter Becca, who would dress up in my old dresses and then go outside and twirl and dance around our hosta gardens. We use to call her the garden fairy!