Monday, February 25, 2013

I'M WARPED


Finally, after summer, fall and a few winter months, I am back to weaving.  It's funny that I forgot how much I love to weave.  I warped my old Union Loom with a heavy duty rug linen, and despite some tension problems, am happy with the resulting rugs.





A while back I was shopping in a thrift store in Richland Center and came across five large rag balls, so neatly folded (they looked ironed) and 'balled' up, I was unable to resist.  I also loved the quiet color combinations of beige and reds.  When I was contemplating what to use as a weft, I noticed the color of the linen warp matched so well with the color in the rag balls, I decided to use them.



Despite the dull quality of the photo below, the color combination really turned out quite lovely.  As the rags were doubled, this made for a nice heavy duty rug.



As I still had plenty of warp left on the rug, I decided to use some of the wool rug yarn that has been hanging in my workshop for years...




It was difficult to decide on what colors to use, but I think this color combination worked out well.


This is quite a long rug, and once I have 'finished' it off, I think it will be quite nice.

And on another note, I spent some time yesterday making English Muffins.  We enjoyed them with farm fresh eggs and Organic Valley's turkey bacon for brunch.


Perhaps a bit of work for just six muffins, the next time I will double the recipe.

And an added treat to start my day today...Andy had to come and get hay and Iris, with whom I have never skied, came along.  We skied along Jug Creek and had lots of fun.  She is a great little skier.  It was slippery, but we figured this might be the last chance this winter to ski.   I so much look forward to skiing the entire loop with her next winter. 

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

How fun to weave, what a great hobby. I'm sure I've been to that thrift shop in Richland Center!

A skiing outing with Iris, perfect. You are very right, our snow will probably vanish with these warm temperatures.

Avalanche Looms / Susan Johnson said...

Nice to see you're back at your loom. Looks like you have a lot of fun and good things to eat there, too.