The lovely part of Autumn is slowly slipping away. Yesterday Freddie and I took a hike on our (207 acre) property. It is beautiful, located here along Jug Creek amid the tree-covered hills. Still, most of the trees have lost their leaves, except for the oaks, that is.
This mighty oak, said to be over 200 years old, is at the top of a steep incline, stretching its limbs far out into a canopy. It is a powerful sight to come upon, and never ceases to startle me with its majesty.
Autumn is also bringing an end to the garden. My sweet red peppers have been prolific, and I still have some sitting indoors in the sun, reddening.
Roasted red peppers/onions.
Heavily oil (olive oil) a baking dish, cut up peppers, onions, garlic and in this case an eggplant as well...(lots of onion and garlic), and salt/pepper to taste. Roast in 375 degree oven for a couple of hours. This is great as a side dish, served over toasted crusty bread, or mixed with Italian sausage.
My kale is heartily growing along, and it, too, is prolific. I picked nearly 6 pounds of it this morning. De-stemmed it, cut it up...
and it filled to overflowing, this large stainless steel bowl.
I then brought a kettle of water to a boil, blanched the kale for 2 minutes, cooled it, and was able to freeze 6 bags.
Come the cold of winter, this kale sauteed with onion, garlic, and Italian sausage, with the last 15 minute addition of cut up potatoes, is probably my second favorite meal (homemade pizza being my first.)
Brussels sprouts are still doing well, and I also picked plenty of them today. We will have maple-glazed Brussels sprouts later this week.
As much as I love fall, it also presents an overwhelming clean-up time. The garden clean up seems far more intensive and demanding than planting time. Perhaps it is just because by this time, it is all old news????



1 comment:
I totally agree with you about the kale. Sautee kale with other vegetables & garlic.....throw this mixture on a pizza crust with pesto and feta cheese. My all-time favorite pizza ever!!!
My kale is still growing despite 20 degrees two nights ago!
Post a Comment