Friday, February 24, 2012

LAMPSHADES

Finally, I have gotten back to weaving, though a bit unconventional, as I am once again weaving on the metal frame of an old discarded lampshade. I decided to do this one in wool warp and wool weft.



You can see the frame in the background.




Lots of lovely wool yarn, some of it from the Fairbault Woolen Mill, and some from a now defunct carpet mill down south.

I have been commissioned to do two lampshades for a friend, and this smaller one is to be in soft, light colors with flecks of blue, etc. These are the yarns I have chosen.

Once the frame is warped, the butterflies of yarn made, it is on to the actual weaving...



It is a slow process but is wonderfully meditative....



Close up of the weave and the colors...
I am hoping to complete this in the next couple of weeks and get on to the second, larger frame.

No comments: