Sunday, June 27, 2010

NOAH, DO WE NEED YOU????

Even the positive sides of rain are being diminishes exponentially...plants that normally would thrive in lushness with copious amounts of moisture, are now slipping quickly into paleness and death. I am plucking petunia after petunia from each of my outdoor potted plants, as they succumb to excess rain, despite drain holes in the bottom of each pot.


Plants in the garden, like my cucumbers, that generally soak up moisture and lengthen almost before my eyes, are rotting in a sickly yellowness.


Seeds that have not germinated are relocated by washouts far from their original site.



Onion bulbs lay exposed far too early, the dirt having found a home somewhere else.



And the approach to the cabin basement is nearly unapproachable...water washed deep rivulets that are almost impossible to navigate.


There simply is no way to get to my workshop without an extra pound of mud on my boots.




I sink deeply into the mud as I walk to my basement door.


I, surely only one among many, am sodden and far beyond ready for dry days that come in...a...row. I am tired of snatching sunshine in tiny bits, rushing out to pluck the ever growing weeds between deluges. The promise of a week of clear and sunny days I hold only as a tentative truth.



Awakening to the gray and dreary days, despite the embedded beauty in them, has grown tiresome...


just before the rain falls...this is what it feels like:


HEAVY IS THE DAY

The days are many now
that have borne this gloom
grayness suffuses the morning pallette
mono-chromatically
the breeze nudges
tar-heavy
and everything
is swollen with the
wait.


JAS






2 comments:

barbindell said...

Yikes, you guys must have had a lot more rain than we did--sorry you have such a mess

Joanne said...

We had one inch in one hour one day last week, during the night we had an additional 2 1/4", we have had another 1" the other day, and then almost an inch last night. I bet I forgot an inch or so, too. It is wet!! funny, and we live so close.