In the Woods and In the CabinMost winter afternoons, Freddie comes home after lunch and heads to the woods. It doesn't matter if it is below zero or if the snow is 18" deep, he's off. Our M.F.L. (Managed Forest Land) plans call for release of certain trees by cutting out the trash trees. Freddie is spending these beautiful afternoons releasing Red Oaks.

Here is just some of the work he has done. He has actually completed, over the past eight years, probably close to 75 acres. He thinks he'll complete this designated section some time next week.

Wouldn't you know just when I decide to take a break from the workshop and hike out to see what he's doing, I find him like this. I wonder where the beer is???

Ah, a man and his dog. Meanwhile, I head back to the cabin to complete my latest Rose Path Rug.

I am really enjoying weaving this pattern. The colors aren't exactly 'true' here, there is a very dark brown, a medium shade and a light shade of brown, and a burgundy. I think this rug is destined for my floor.
2 comments:
Aunt Joanne,
Likewise, it is nice sharing your life even if we can't be in the same place physically. Here is the recipe for pogaca (Turkish). It is quite easy and very tasty hot out of the oven.
POGACA
1 tea cup full sunflower oil (tea cup = think 2 espresso cups)
1 tea cup full yogurt
1 half stick margarine or butter (salty ok or if non, add salt) at room temp
1 egg whole - separate white for dough and yellow to brush on top
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (if no salt butter or margarine only)
Flour as needed for consistency
Soft white cheese - feta or other
pitted black olives
Mix all dry ingredients with rest of ingredients except cheese, olives and yellow of egg, by hand until soft as an earlobe. (I don't use a mixer and start with a small amount of flour, also creaming the butter.) Add more flour as needed.
Butter a metal oven pan/tray.
Make dough into palm sized flat pancake, adding cheese or olives to the middle and then wrap in the dough, rolling the small amount between two palms. Place on cooking sheet with some space, brush egg yolk on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds (black or white).
Cook at 200C degrees for 40 minutes, or 30 minutes at 390F. You may want to make different shapes for different ingredients inside -- I make little boats for olive filled and round for cheese. When golden brown on top, they are done - serve warm.
Easy! Turks eat these for breakfast or for snacks -- you can make them larger too but I like the bitesized ones best. You can experiment and do seasoned crumbly beef with peas and carrots inside... and so on...
Let me know how they turn out!
lovely rug, Joanne
Post a Comment