

It is difficult to know if anyone really reads this blog, but perhaps I am doing it for myself anyway. Today it was time to put away the Easter things...bunnies, birds, 'grass' and colored eggs. I have tried many natural dyes over the years, but none have intrigued me quite like using onion skins. There is something quite magical about wrapping each egg in damp onion skins, tucking them all into the floursack dishtowel handed down to me from my grandmother, (my grandmother's dishtowel has, over the years, become so beautifully mottled with ochers, browns, yellows, golds, and rusts that it is itself a thing to behold) and placing that into the bottom of a kettle filled with water. Bring it all to a boil...and then the real thrill, holding each warm egg in the palm of my hand, and peeling the onion skins gently away to reveal how individually those skins took to each egg. I took one last loving look before shattering the shell and making those three eggs into salad.
(After previewing this I realize it is time for a new camera...the colors shown here are far less vivid and intense.)
2 comments:
Fun to use onion skins to dye eggs. This year I went with the undyed goose eggs I got from Rosanne... and someone always checks in to your blog, but you're right. I think you should write it first for yourself
Post a Comment