Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A New Weaving Adventure


I have been weaving for a very long time, but still can't shake the feeling of being a novice! I have mostly, except for tapestry weaving, woven on an old Union #36 loom, which was an old loom when I purcahsed it in the early 70's. It has done well by me, and I do love the age and history of it's worn wood. I recently had made a new maple sectional warp beam, which is itself quite beautiful. I have been using this new beam for the last few rugs, which have been in my traditional style, design mostly accomplished by use of varied colored wool blanket ends. Rich and lovely in most cases. However, I recently read in a newsletter how I could warp my Union loom to weave a double-faced rug. I was fasinated by this idea, and as much as I hate warping took on this added 'burden' and warped for this type rug. As you can see in the above picture, there are threads that are not threaded into heddles, and thus form the division between upper shed and lower shed, or more exactly, front and back of rug. The weaving was not as easy as I had hoped, basically going through the bottom shed proved extremely trying. I have, however, completed the first of these rugs, and will tie it and twist fringe (along with Iris who 'ties and twists' along with me) today. No judgement yet on how much I like the rug.

No comments: