Sunday, January 29, 2017

BUSHWACKING

There has been little opportunity to ski this year, way too much ice and rain.  However, yesterday, along with Andy and Elsa we set out to 'ski' Hay Valley with Freddie as our guide.

Bushwacking is skiing where there is no trail, and it is my favorite kind of cross-country skiing, but yesterday was really a challenge.  



This is what much of the area we skied looked like.  That turquoise spot back there is Freddie making his way through the brush. 


We 'skied' much of the two hours through terrain like this.  Andy forging his own way.


Not only was there much brush to navigate, but miles of slick ice where our poles could not get purchase....still it was fun and the glide was smooth.


She always laughed when she fell, which was not all that frequently.  I must say when we started out I presumed that this seven year old would just kind of ski and that we would have to tone down our usual skiing....NO WAY, Elsa is a real skier, and I am not kidding.  I was just blown away by her athletic ability and how she just seemed to know how to maneuver around whatever presented itself.  She in no way held us back, and at times set the pace for all of us.   



Andy, Elsa and I just before we ski the ice.


We even climbed a hill through the woods to reach this vast and beautiful field...Elsa wanted to ski in some open space.  This was beautiful skiing and provided some hills that she very much wanted to ski down.

Preparing to fly down the hill. 

And she did, often in the crouch-sit position.  

It was truly a lovely day. a bit of cold wind, but down in the woods we were protected.  

A day of blessings!!

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

We don't have any new snow here in Western WI, but I still snowshoe through the woods as best as I can! Now I hear we are suppose to have rain on Saturday...darn. I'm thinking I might have to start hiking via winter boots!

Looks like you all had fun on your skis, but bushwhacking is hard, especially if there is prickly ash!

I saw your photos of your icy driveway. We have the same problem at my house, plus we just got freezing drizzle this morning. It's been a crazy winter so far.