There is much on my mind these days dampening my spirits, and sometimes I find it difficult to do pursue the creative aspects of my life. However going up to the garden, getting my hands down deep in the dirt, pulling weeds and reaping the bounty is a balm. So too, is getting on my bike and riding my usual route, which having recently tracked the mileage, I now know is 18.3 miles. I try to ride it at least 4 times per week, more if possible. Also working up a real sweat in my Zumba class twice per week, is good for my soul.
The garden is spilling forth with goods now, broccoli, dill, cucumbers, Swiss Chard, beans, especially beans aplenty, and then some.
One of my favorite broccoli dishes is this raw broccoli salad, which quite honestly I could eat and eat and eat.
Raw broccoli cut up, and I use the thick stems, peeled, as well. An onion from the garden cut into pieces, a bunch of sun flower seeds, a handful of craisens, crisp, crumbled bacon, mayo, a bit of cider vinegar and a touch of sugar. Unbelievable good.
This bean salad is a staple of my childhood, and is made about two hours before dinner and left at room temperature. Blanch beans until desired tenderness and cut up. Slice onions, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers (which are coming a couple a day), snipped fresh dill, olive oil, wine vinegar, salt/pepper and dried oregano. Toss and let sit.
This dish, adapted from a favorite risotto recipe is dynamite. Mild Italian sausage sauteed with onions, when onions soft, add a cup of Marsala wine, reduce heat and cook for about 25 minutes until liquid reduced by about half. In the mean time cook your risotto (this recipe usually has sliced potatoes in it, and it would still be good, but I left them out for this version). Many people do not do risotto because they think it is too time consuming, adding broth a little at a time until absorbed, which can in fact take up to 25 minutes. But it is really worth it. While doing the risotto, steam or saute fresh from the garden Swiss chard until cooked to your liking. When all is done place risotto in a large bowl, cover with the sauteed Swiss Chard, cut the sausages into slices, and put that along with the onions and the Marsala reduction sauce over all. Oh, this is mighty good!!
An Amish friend has a warehouse where he gets fruit throughout the season, and he has both peaches and blueberries in at this time.
I bought a lug of each, and here is our first peach pie....
It did not last long.
So, thanks to my friend Nora, who said she missed reading my blog, I posted again!!
No comments:
Post a Comment