Sunday Freddie and I took a hike to just some of the beautiful ice caves on the Kickapoo Valley Reserve.
Despite the cold, though for a change it wasn't below zero, it was a relatively warm hike as we climbed many a hill and went up and over these formations.
Sometime in later March some of the ice will have melted and it will be possible to walk behind these 'ice walls'.
I wanted to get the skis out today but as there had been a period of freezing rain there was an ice crust over the snow which would have made for unpleasant skiing. So, I decided to walk through the woods, well, trudge was more like it as I sunk through the ice crust and about 3" of old snow.
Overlooking the vineyard from the north....
Just outside my back door.
...along the trail where there is a beautiful cove of birch trees...
How can you not love winter? I think there simply is no more beautiful time of the year.
No comments:
Post a Comment