In the early morning with my mug of freshly ground coffee, I have a cozy spot in the corner of the couch in our living room, in which I sit. Our home is filled with windows, and this is the view I get to see, in all its variations throughout the day and the seasons, from that cozy spot.
There is a grand old Box Elder tree right outside the window, and its beauty and grandeur, despite my husband's disdain for Box Elders, offers me hours of inner gratitude and peace. I found it, with this lovely light, particularly beautiful this morning.
My grandgirls spent their Nonnie Day with me this week, and while they were playing (and I not exactly up to par, yet) I decided to go to the closet and retrieve an old, battered, green plastic suitcase that Jonel kept some of her 'dolls' when she was young. Barbie dolls were pretty much the rage back then, and not finding them really conducive to imaginative play I never really got her any. I did find a Hippie-kind of couple, he in a beard and she in longish, flowered dresses, which I did get for her. Otherwise, it was a collection of dolls from around the world, and whatever she might beg from me at rummage sales.
My grandgirls spent their Nonnie Day with me this week, and while they were playing (and I not exactly up to par, yet) I decided to go to the closet and retrieve an old, battered, green plastic suitcase that Jonel kept some of her 'dolls' when she was young. Barbie dolls were pretty much the rage back then, and not finding them really conducive to imaginative play I never really got her any. I did find a Hippie-kind of couple, he in a beard and she in longish, flowered dresses, which I did get for her. Otherwise, it was a collection of dolls from around the world, and whatever she might beg from me at rummage sales.
I thought the girls would be intrigued with them, especially since they had been their mother's, but I did not expect the focus and duration of that interest....
...washing them carefully....
...setting up a 'home' for them....
...combing and brushing their hair...
They sustained this play pretty much for four or five hours, with brief breaks to go outdoors.
These girls are just filled with the wonder of play, and their imaginations are as wide as any child's could be. The world they created on this day was vast and beautiful, and I was delighted.
They sustained this play pretty much for four or five hours, with brief breaks to go outdoors.
These girls are just filled with the wonder of play, and their imaginations are as wide as any child's could be. The world they created on this day was vast and beautiful, and I was delighted.
1 comment:
It's so nice to see your granddaughters using their imagination. I still have my barbie dolls back from the early 60's!!!
I like your new spring header with the trees budding out. Happy Spring Joanne.
Post a Comment